In This Section
Treatment for Hemorrhoids in Homer Glen, IL
Causes & Symptoms of Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids are itchy, swollen veins in the anal canal. Though the condition can be painful and frustrating, it’s usually treatable and not serious. Dr. Vasdekas and Dr. Rapciak are board certified surgeons who specialize in procedures related to hemorrhoids. Learn more about common causes and symptoms and call our office in Homer Glen, IL to schedule your appointment today.
What Causes Hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids can be caused by many things. Common causes include:
- Straining during bowel movements
- Lifting heavy weights or objects
- Anal sex
- Genetics - weaker veins and hemorrhoids can run in families
- Sitting for extended periods of time
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Weakening of the tissue surrounding the anus that occurs with age
- Pregnancy or childbirth
Common Symptoms of Hemorrhoids
The symptoms you experience with hemorrhoids depends on the type of hemorrhoid you have. The two types are:
- External Hemorrhoids - External hemorrhoids occur when blood pools under the skin, forming a hard lump. They can be painful, unlike internal hemorrhoids. Other symptoms of external hemorrhoids include bleeding in stool and itching.
- Internal Hemorrhoids - The most common symptom of internal hemorrhoids is rectal bleeding. Other symptoms include itching, skin irritation and discomfort while passing bowel movements.
Treatment for Hemorrhoids in Homer Glen
Hemorrhoids are typically treated with simple changes to diet and bowel habits. Most physicians will attempt to treat hemorrhoids with fixative procedures to reduce the blood supply, therefore decreasing the size of the hemorrhoid. If a large, internal hemorrhoid is present, a physician might choose to surgically remove the hemorrhoid with a hemorrhoidectomy.